The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 

NOTE: The Sporum is migrating to EA’s Answers HQ forum environment. The Sporum is currently in Read-Only mode and will remain so for a period of time. For more information about the move and the new location, please see this post

Are there other projects for Spore 2?  XML
Forum Index » Developer Corner
Chenjesu

Microbe

Feel free to move this topic if this isn't the right section.

But anyway, like many I was wondering when a Spore 2 would ever get made. I saw this project called Thrive, but I've seen plenty of game projects fail. After observing the forums and their chat, while the concept is promising and it has a small amount of pro support, it has more ideas than it knows what to do with just to start. I have to be realistic and come to the conclusion that project is very disorganized, makes irrational decisions, too realistic where it doesn't need be in a way that dissatisfies players, and unrealistic where it shouldn't be and then has this weird tendency where the people running the project seem to lie about integrating player suggestions without even explaining anything. Initially I was excited for the project, but now, I don't have much hope for it.

With that said, I know the Evolution project, started on kickstarter and then released on steam didn't turn out so well, but despite that I continue to be creatively enthusiastic with graphics, animation music and sound effects. Are there other projects out there that could be the Spore 2 people want?

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 03/31/2018 23:59:09

dylans04

Multicellular

I would put this at "Highly Doubtable"

Chenjesu

Microbe

dylans04 wrote:I would put this at "Highly Doubtable"

I'm not trying to be rude, but could you maybe clarify what you mean by that?

EDIT: LOL sorry I put "I'm trying to be rude" accidentally.

I actually worked on Spore mods and created creature parts with some people over Steam, I made some good models but implementing so many into a comprehensive project fell short with only 2 people, so I've also been a part of a spore-like project that didn't make it far either, I know what it takes and where it goes wrong.

Was there some update to this site too? I was on this website a while ago when I was making mods but somehow all my private messages and profile stuff was deleted.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 03/31/2018 23:40:20

dylans04

Multicellular

Chenjesu wrote:

What I mean by that is that almost nobody has the coding knowledge to make such a project, and any other Spore fangames or inspirations (cough cough Thrive) have at this point basically slowed down development to nothing.

Chenjesu

Microbe

dylans04 wrote:
Chenjesu wrote:

What I mean by that is that almost nobody has the coding knowledge to make such a project, and any other Spore fangames or inspirations (cough cough Thrive) have at this point basically slowed down development to nothing.

I think I agree in general, although disagree about the number of people who know how to code. There are still independent projects that succeed, and I mean, a lot of people want Spore 2, so it might just be a matter of representing that desire to professional programmers. If the project could get funding, that would be great. I looked at Thrive's funding page at some point, and it literally just talked about how it doesn't want any funding and hates all the different forms of funding which is really weird to me. So I don't know what they're thinking but looking at their mistakes there is definitely room for a more well-thought project to rise up.

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at 04/01/2018 00:00:02

Hohki

Microbe

I think a Spore 2 is possible and very doable--it's just that everyone trying to make a Spore 2 gets too caught up in features that aren't really needed. Like, controlling a complex multicellular organism at a cellular level? What are Thrive's developers even thinking?

I've been toying with the idea of a spiritual Spore 2 that focuses on a more realistic approach to the evolution system (limiting changes per generation, acquiring new traits or speeding things along by choosing a certain mate, etc) while still allowing full creativity in the end, but even I struggle with getting too caught up in features. If anyone's interested in seeing what I have in mind anyway though, I can talk a little bit about it.

Forum Index » Developer Corner
Go to: