The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 

NOTE: The Sporum is migrating to EA’s Answers HQ forum environment. The Sporum is currently in Read-Only mode and will remain so for a period of time. For more information about the move and the new location, please see this post

Unhandled Fault on Read Access Error *** MARCH / 2010 ***  XML
Forum Index » Spore Mac Help
FilMacU

Microbe

OK not sure if this will work for everyone plus it's a bit brute force however...
I was having the same problem seemed to be happen at the same point every time. Didn't happen prior to two days ago but then I started getting the dread exception error. I navigated to he Spore saved games folder which is located \Users\YourMacName\Library\Preferences\SPORE Preferences\p_drive\User\Application Data\Spore\Games
I backed up this folder to my desktop, ran a couple of utilities on it but everything seemed fine so I went into Time Machine (sorry if you don't have time machine running....) and restored the same folder from a backup before the programme started throwing the error. Everything fine now. In my case it appears that the error was caused by a corrupt saved game, now none of my file utilitise found anything wrong with it so it is something embedded in the file that causes the error to be thrown. The down side is of course that you loose your most recent progress ~but until EA get up of their a€*e and fix this then what else can you do!!!

Phil
Ireland
mire0626

Microbe

Hi!
I think I found a solution to this problem!
1: Go to User\USERNAME\Library\Preferences\
2: Select SPORE Preferences BUT DO NOT OPEN THE FOLDER
3: Press CMD+I on your keyboard
4: Go to Sharing and Permissions (at the bottom of the window)
5: Set EVERYONE to Read AND Write
6: Clik on the + at the bottom
7: Select ADMINISTRATORS
8: Set to Read AND Write

I'm not sure if it will work, but in my case, it worked fine.
JGFMK

Microbe

FilMacU wrote:OK not sure if this will work for everyone plus it's a bit brute force however...
I was having the same problem seemed to be happen at the same point every time...

I tend to concur with you. It's a corrupt save game.
I'm having precisely the same issue. I load the save game up. Then inside a couple of seconds it crashes. I think the easiest option is to delete the save game. Unfortunately you loose all the work. I'd got all the way from Cell to Tribal stage when this occurred. Had just greeted second Tribal village. Bribed them with some food to turn red faces to yellow and was sending my guys to harvest more fruit. At the point they got back to my village the game crashes..
I'm surprised none of the developers at EA have asked for a saved game to be sent to them. They could reproduce the error in an instant track down the cause and put out a patch...

If anyone at EA is monitoring this thread, you'll find my Twitter id is JGFMK too. We can take up the conversation from there if you like. Not going the 'support' route. Too infuriating...
You can delete the game before you select it to play (the red trash can). I'm hoping every other game will be ok.
Also from looking at the setup, you end up with a
/Users/<user name>/Library/Preferences/SPORE Preferences/p_drive/User/Application Data/Spore/Games/Game0
folder with a <planet name>.spo file.
That file can probably be deleted directly too. But I'd rather do it 'in game' in case there's some sort of cross-file tidying up that goes on. This is what I think a EA developer would want if they were keen to keep up good customer relations.
Or even some sort of remote dial up if it was more complicated.
I'm a software developer too. So if if you are an EA developer, you'll be able to have an intelligent conversation...

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 03/24/2011 06:54:04

murdick

Civilized Sporeon

tailsmech wrote:This is bizarre and aggravating. I love playing spore, but every half hour or so into my game, it crashes! I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem, I have a Macbook pro as well.

First bot parts only on PC, and now the Mac version keeps crashing? I'm beginning to suspect something. but I'm not going to go too far in with my suspicion just yet.

Anyhow, i hope EA gets off their rears and fixes this.

I have a normal macbook. I get the same problem.

[WWW]
JGFMK

Microbe

murdick wrote:I have a normal macbook. I get the same problem.

It seems we all seem to be Macbook users. Wondering if it's something to do with putting laptop into sleep mode...
Maybe if's better to save game and exit to menu each time, before you close the lid. Just a stab in the dark...
murdick

Civilized Sporeon

Yeah when I close the lid for the night when I open it in the morning it says
Unhandled Fault on Read Access Error

[WWW]
Trader99

Multicellular

Earth, Sol System, Orion Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Spore, My Computer

Found some potential solutions on other threads:

If you can't do that, it would be interesting to see what happens if you directly edit the Preferences.prop file (in /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/SPORE Preferences/p_drive/User/Application Data/Spore/Preferences/) so that the "OptionScreenSize" is set to 1, and maybe even "OptionEffects" set to 1.

I HIGHLY recommend you make a BACKUP of the file somewhere BEFORE you edit it, by the way.

Can't say it'll work, but it is worth a try if you are stuck.

There is no hope.
Many players have this error........ Including me....... Stay strong and remove your preferences folder.
Forget how much you have played.
Forget that you have ever played spore
Forget your planet.
Forget your creature.
Put the folder on the desktop and wait until Ea comes up with a fix.
Now open spore.
Hope that it willl open.
Put in your activation thing.
Enjoy a new game!

FIX IT EA!!!!!!!!1

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/04/2011 18:52:15

Yes, I am a Pastafarian. I believe that the flying spaghetti monster created the earth and the heavens and will come down to bring his cultists to the new earth. I will not change my beliefs because you pointlessly rant and flame me. Or ask nicely. So don't. If you believe the same, copy and paste this to your sig. RAmen!

When i am the overlording, eternally rich, Trillionare, owner of the entire internet i shall make you all work in the endless offices of my internet empire...

...On the moon!
Trader99

Multicellular

Earth, Sol System, Orion Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Spore, My Computer

Any word on if the OP has tried any of these?

Yes, I am a Pastafarian. I believe that the flying spaghetti monster created the earth and the heavens and will come down to bring his cultists to the new earth. I will not change my beliefs because you pointlessly rant and flame me. Or ask nicely. So don't. If you believe the same, copy and paste this to your sig. RAmen!

When i am the overlording, eternally rich, Trillionare, owner of the entire internet i shall make you all work in the endless offices of my internet empire...

...On the moon!
murdick

Civilized Sporeon

-.-

[WWW]
Waddlepad

Microbe

I am glad (and disappointed) that I'm not the only one. I still don't know how to fix it. I was told to uninstall then reinstall. I was told I would keep my data. All my data is gone.
H4rw00d99

Microbe

OverActor wrote:First-For the crashes every 20 to 30 minutes..... That is normal.... at the bottom are "General Maintenance" steps to take, but guess what.... you have to do them every time your game crashes.

Second-If "General Maintenance" no longer works THEN you must prepare to UnInstall and ReInstall. It happens to the best of us.

Third-Spore is limited to the amount of computers that you can have it on but NOT limited to the amount of uninstalls and reinstalls.

Please read all before attempting to uninstall Spore.

OverActor wrote:You need a proper uninstall. Files are hidden and you need an application to remove all successfully.

You can find AppCleaner here

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/32740

Once you have AppCleaner installed, put the SPORE app icon into AppCleaner's trash can and follow the direction.

Be sure to delete your Spore file in "My Documents" and remove any files you may have copied and put on your desktop. Go to the big APPLE-Recent Items and clear your history. Empty trash can and restart before reinstalling the game.

If at any point a patch fails to install you will have to do the whole process over again.

How do I back up saves before uninstalling?

http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/6416.page#119638

Core Spore doesn't require the disc when playing. Spore GA requires the disc upon opening with each play but can be ejected after starting.

If your OS is Snow Leopard 10.6 or better.... I suggest you buy all of the expansions to ensure installation of all patches.

C&C has patch 1&2.

GA has patch 3 & 4.

Don't let it auto patch anything. Let C&C and GA do the patching. Sign in to the game each time and close.

Go to the sticky on patch 5 and manually install that patch.

Open Core Spore first and sign in. Close.

Open GA and sign in. Don't auto patch.

Then go back to the sticky thread about patch 5 and manually install the GA patch.

If your OS is Leopard 10.5 or less.... just Core Spore should have no problems downloading all of the patches.

Autopatching should work fine with this OS.

General Maintenance needs to be performed often after game is installed and running.

These files regenerate themselves and have to be deleted on a regular basis.

Follow the path below from the username files in the finder.

user/library/Preferences/SPORE Preferences/p_drive/User/Application Data/Spore/Games

Delete the GraphicsCache.001.package and any other of the numbered cache packages. Then scroll a bit further to delete "system.reg" These files regenerate themselves.

If the trouble is with GA... there are two more files that you can delete.
user/library/Preferences/SPORE Preferences/p_drive/User/Application Data/Spore/Preferences
"login.prop" & "Preferences.prop"

Next you have to open core SPORE first.. sign in. Let it do it's thing. Sign out and close. Then put the GA disk in and open the game with the GA icon. (Or in your case, Don't put disc back in) Hopefully it will be smooth sailing after that.
Ok, so if we follow the directions in the link to back up save games, does it back up creations, too? Because I REALLY don't want to lose them.

95% of teens today would die if their social network died. Copy and paste this into your sig if you're one of the 5% who would laugh like hell.
zippyk

Microbe

Forgive the bump, but has there been any improvement?
pester555

MouthBreather

zippyk wrote:Forgive the bump, but has there been any improvement?

My guess is somebody would have made a topic if there was an improvement.

The title of this got mixed up. It really was supposed to be Pester555.
kibbles0515

Microbe

Just jumping in to say me too. I've been saving like a mother-, but I just want it FIXED. I tried changing the permissions on the preference file...I'll see if this works.
kibbles0515

Microbe

For the record, that didn't work. In fact, I got to play the least amount of time I've ever played.

Forum Index » Spore Mac Help
Go to: